Nairobi Life Day 5

We were at the Marurui Slum by 8:15 this morning to pick up MomMary (kinda making up her name by the way. It's complicated. She lives with her Mom, "Grandma", her 23 year old daughter, her 4 year old granddaughter, her pregnant 19 year old, ,another daughter ...age ???, Breatrice and baby Kevin) . We were there to take Kevin for his immunizations. They were not ready to go when we got there, but they were trying and Mary (the 19 yo) was ready and going along. Her english is better. She is beautiful and 8 months pregnant.

The good news is both children looked better. Beatrice was cleaner and no fever that I could tell. Still horrible cough and look of fatigue. Kevin was much brighter and more awake. Brenda and I both felt encouraged. Mom was actually trying to feed him something like oatmeal from a cup. He was struggling with it, there was no spoon involved. They had given all the medicines correctly best we could tell. It was horribly dark in there. It is so difficult for them.

Mom Mary didn't smell like brew and it was obvious she tried her very best to look as good as they could. She even put her best sandals on.

We had good conversation with Mary in the car. She is precious and yet so needing to find a better life. She had another baby that died at 3 months of age.

At the hospital, immunization clinic it was obvious other Mom's were looking at Mary, Mom Mary with judgement and a sense of wanting to get away. It was very sad, because they knew it and it was particularly difficult for Mary. I found myself considering how many times I have reacted that way to the poor in the States. The Nun was even terse with Mary and MomMary.

I understand their frustration, but they had not walked into this family's home and situation. There is a lot to dwell on there and a lot to consider;too much for my brain at that moment. But I am reminded to care for the poor and be gentle in spirit.

Brenda bought them some water and juice while we waited. She also brought a bag of cut up carrots from home. Mary became sweaty and lightheaded at one point. She is 8 months pregnant and had not eaten yet today. Who knows when she last ate. It was fun to see Beatrice work on that juice box and all of them eat those carrots including baby. He was actually funny. He worked hard sucking on that until it fell apart. It was good to see him have the strength to do that.


The heart wrenching part was walking up to the scale with MomMary and baby to get weighed in front of us a Mom placed a healthy 6-7 month old boy, who just sat there well and sturdy. I notice his weight was more than double the weight of Kevin's. Next Mom Mary placed naked baby Kevin on the scale. In those moments I saw bones of a baby over a year old that could not sit up for the scale and his arms and legs flopped over the side of the scale as he cried. I was paralyzed and do not think that image will soon be forgotten. I knew he was tiny but they keep him so bundled up he looked bigger. He only got one shot today, because he is not well enough to get them all. They have to bring him back next week. They will be on their own this time, using public transportation, so I ask your prayers for their compliance.

Speaking of compliance Mary (the 19 year old) reported that she was told her Mom accepted Christ and she was very happy. She said she enjoyed her Mom last evening because she didn't drink the brew. " I don't like her when she drinks that stuff". Praise God. Mary is testing the waters of this Jesus thing. She is hurting and I am sure wondering if all this is true. Although, she is going to church. She likes to sing and wants to record music. Maybe one day I will buy her worship CD.

There was a lot of good conversation about forgiveness and accountability. Lots of teaching words about how to feed Kevin, how to give medication, how to take care of Mom and herself and her baby to be born. They have to fight and dream, rejoice in the Lord and work hard to find ways to make it better for them. The ladies of the Jacaranda sewing ministries are now seeking ways to serve them. For example there are plans to go clean their house and better organize their clothes and get them set up for washing and laundry. I thought they are my home church, Crosspoint Community Church, Nashville, TN. Because that is exactly what they would do. They just did so in their neighborhood last Saturday. We all need a helping hand at different times in our lives. The kinda help that cares for us in such a way our hope is renewed and our faith grows deeper.

There is so much more I have seen and experienced it is overwhelming to write about them all, but here are some highlights:
1. Went to what I am calling the village slum this afternoon. It is much smaller and has some open spaces. It felt great. That is so funny to say. We were attacked by gloriously dirty children. The were funny but not shy! They loved Caeli and she being their height was lost in a sea of dark children. She needed rescuing. Lillian took yarn and was fervently making them bracelets. That was a crowd stealer for sure.

There I saw a medical clinic....it was sweet.... we need to come back with a medical team, some day. Thats is all I will say for now.

Amazingly, I met in this slum a family from Nashville, TN. Have you heard of Ellie's run for Africa? Well they were here, traveling with African Leadership. I met the director and turns out I know the other director in Nashville. I worked with him in taking care of a refugee who was a 19 year old cancer pt. Sadly, he told me he was at his funeral last week. I didn't know he had died. But I knew he was receiving hospice care at home. I know it is sad to share but it felt like a divine connection.

Ok...I really can't go on...and I am sure you are tired of reading by now.... I do need prayer for my strength. I don't know how Brenda does this???? She is certainly called.

But just know this: in Kenya the police are on foot, so if you are speeding just go faster they can't catch you. BUT they might jump in your car and tell you to catch a person they just saw speeding. Bottom line better to speed. Mom you would fit in real well here! love ya

Comments

Don said…
Rhonda, I am proud of you and Jessica for going to Kenya and especially doing a blog to inform others what your seeing and feeling.

I hope you make some more entries. Lura is responsible for me finding your blog. You express yourself very well.
Don said…
I do know how to spell. I meant to write "you're"

Popular posts from this blog

The Whole Hearted

We're Here