Gratitude



June 28th, 2012


Hi Friends,

It is difficult to believe it has been over 2 months since we returned from our short term trip to Kenya.  This is a long overdue thank you. I am feeling embarrassed.

I have thought of writing our thanks often but am finding this difficult.  Wish I could simply go around and give you all a hug and say, "Thanks," and be done. But that is not right or fair to you. Part of me has needed emotional rest and part of me has wanted to escape and forget.  However, the truth is that is not possible.

This trip was only possible through your encouraging words, prayers and financial support. The girls and I do not take this lightly. Our hearts have been overwhelmed and your support has not only made us feel loved but deepened our faith in the power of Jesus. The same power available to all of us. He knows us. He knows our name. He knows our heart. He knows our need. Not only does he know, He PROVIDES!

Grant Jenkins our church staffer on the trip taught some team members to lead a song at church in Nairobi called, "GOD KNOWS MY NAME"  The church we attended, New Song Nairobi consists of a  congregation of predominately poor families,walking from the slums.  The pastor Garry had several women come forward and help lead in the singing. Sang they did! Sang and began to dance. Smiles abounded. As I learned the words and sang with them, I began thinking about their living situations and their daily struggles. I prayed they could believe and saw the belief in their hearts.  Then I realized I am the one who is selfish and insecure. I am the one whose God is not big enough. I am the one living in comfort and self sufficiency. Who am I to share that hope with them? They got it! They were teaching me.

Those woman know their God is big enough. They are not mad that they were born in a slum, that their children are hungry, or that they face illness and death, because they have felt the touch of their maker and they have confidence in whom to put their trust.  Thought I would share these lyrics with you.  For those of you who know me well, you know I was crying in this moment.  I continue to experience tears in moments when I reflect this time in church together.  I hope I will be cleansed to this deeper level of assurance and prayerful that I be a better witness in the process.

GOD KNOWS MY NAME:

I have a Maker

He formed my heart
Before even time began
My life was in his hands

I have a Father
He calls me His own
He'll never leave me
No matter where I go
He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
And He hears me when I call.


These lyrics helped me keep hope alive as we played with so many children, loving on them, praying with them, sharing bible songs and stories. School was out and in each slum the kids abounded!!!   It was a blast. They will take whatever attention you can give. We played games in a large field, in a small field and in the streets. Several kids accepted Jesus in their hearts. It was pure beauty admist hunger, runny noses, dirty clothes and old burn scars. Peter, one day said, "I was peed on today and it was the best day of my life!"




Home visits, hospital visits, church service and Jacaranda Kids Day all made up the rest of our time together. God showed up consistently.  Our team faced illness but experienced quick healing. We learned the importance of teamwork and some of us over came our worst fears.

We walked through some awful mud and sewage and cried later at the thought of those we met living daily in those circumstances. It was the fall season there and the bugs were worse along with the rain. One night it rained into our guest house. I wondered how little Beatrice and Esther were managing in their makeshift homes with the rats their older sister had told me about earlier in the day. God help them, I prayed. And I remembered, God Knows their Name.

One divine encounter was  a sick baby and Mom who didn't know how sick he was. Pnuemonia. Amanda, the Peds NP with us, happened to have the antibiotic injection the baby needed. So alongside a curb in a narrow walk way(close to some poop) she treated this precious baby that God knew!   We weighed the baby with our arms, "11 pounds?"  "Yeah, 11#, sounds good." Amanda calculated the dose.  This provided time to talk through our interpreter and answer baby care questions the mom had. God worked as he does directly through his people when in obedience to him.  In the end, the woman cried, "Thank you. God has come to my home today."


Jacaranda Kids day was amazing as we celebrated the kids who have been sponsored, wrote letters, played games, updated their pictures.  It was the most physically demanding day.  Over 100 Nairobi children contained and moving to different stations was not an easy task. Jessica edited over 300 pictures. Dave and Amy wrote or updated as much computer information.  We ended the time by handing out a large basket of give-aways to each Jacaranda Creations branch leader.  Excitedly, each basket contained some medical (over the counter and nutrition) supplies to help meet their daily needs. We also had beautiful books, jump ropes and Prayer Bears from Crosspoint to give to the children. Ushering them out the gate (altho a relief) was emotional.  They did not want to leave.

There is so much more to the days events and more I could share about each team member but I think you get the picture. Lauryn , Jessica and I experienced deepened gratitude for the Jacaranda Kids school sponsorship program. School provides them with an education and hope to change their world but also provides them a meal each day. Organically, (or literally through Christ alone) there are now nearly 100 kids sponsored.  Our goal was 100 and now Brenda is saying 1000.  We (the Hewett family) are committed to volunteering to that end.

School was out in Nairobi and without school, the kids were so, so, so, so hungry. I can say that strong enough.  Starving. Maybe thats it. Some we have known now for 3 years lacked the energy to smile. One being Beatrice. Precious Breatice. Three years ago, God cared for her, bringing her in to my life. She was very sick and God healed her. My heart was stolen in for her in 2009. To see her hungry when she was out of school was almost unbearable. But let me tell you about Beatrice. We snuck her off to give her water and a protein bar (as we did not have enough for all 100 children playing with us). She drank and was grateful.  We were not prepared for what we witnessed next. We gathered the children to begin our walk back to their homes in the slum and Beatrice (starving Beatrice) began breaking off the tiniest pieces of protien bar and passing them down the line with her friends. There are no words.  Except the question: would you do that?  Beatrice is Jesus with skin on. Are we?




 Lauryn had to detox when she returned because emotionally she was ready to drop out of school and move there to open a home for the children. She is still not sure that God is not calling here there to live at some point.  None of us is really sure of our next steps with ministry in Nairobi, but we know we will never be the same. Jessica stayed longer to work with Brenda, Amy and Dave. She completed more home visits, heard more, experienced more and loved every minute, but she too has needed some time to not feel the depth of the pain. Friend her on FB and you can see more of her awesome pictures.

We know our experience and touching those around the world with hope and love would not be possible without you!

THANK YOU!!

With much love and an overflowing grateful heart,
Rhonda







Comments

Jamie Willow said…
Wonderful pictures, what an amazing time of service and blessing. Thanks for sharing and letting us be apart of it all.

Popular posts from this blog

13 days and counting...

The Whole Hearted