Last Day in Nairobl

This is our last day here in Nairobi.  Actually we head for the airport at 6pm tonight.  I am ready to be home.  I miss my family, friends, my own home, my dogs, you know the usual.   BUT yesterday I said good-bye to some of the Jacaranda sewing ladies and realized how special it has been to meet these ladies, walk were they work, hear their stories and just hug them.  They are beautiful and their lives have blessed me.  They are excited about the work they are doing and I pray many blessings upon their hands!

Brenda and I also went back to Marurui Slum.  I needed to see family one more time and Brenda was missing them as well.  

My breath was taken away when we entered their home.  It was clean, brighter, they had hung pretty materials over the cardboard walls, and over their furniture.  Mom looked bright and in her right mind. She hugged us and smelled of soap and powder.  Baby Kevin was sleeping peacefully on the bed.  There really are no words to express the changes Christ has made in their hearts affecting their behaviour.  There was no smell of urine or brew.   They have hope.  The Mom said she is full of joy.  Plus, without the brew her mind is clear and you can tell she is caring for her home and her kids.

The oldest daugther, Chico came in while we were there too.  She was dressed so beautifully in a skirt and matching top.   Altho, later when we walked out of their home I could see the dress was torn and dirty.  But the point is she was trying.  She had been at the school building having a sewing class with the Jacaranda women.  This was the first time we could tell she truly had a change in her life.  She wasn't shaking from the brew.

In fact Chico noticed the baby was awake.  Brenda and I had noticed but he were happy to see him open his eyes but lay their contentedly looking around.  He looks miraculous!   He is eating more.  He sat up on the table for us.  We took pictures and showed him, he smiled and reached for the camera.  Mom sang a song about Jesus and I clapped with him.  I hope I never forget those moments.  Moments of joy, peace, hope and healing filling a dark place.  

We read 23rd Psalm.  They are so hungry to know everything that Bible says.  Have I lost that hunger?  

Mom still sleeping with the bible under her pillow.  Sweet.    Please pray for protection over them.   No more abuse, no more rape entering their home! 

Mom shared with Brenda this time how much she loved her, because the first time they met Brenda showed her kindness and didn't turn away even though she was drunk.  I was reminded what John always says,  "Jesus, with skin on".   That has been Brenda to this family!  This is a friendship that is God ordained.

We then told them I was leaving tomorrow. Mom said she would pray for my journey, to say Hi and thank you to my family and to not forget them.   I am at a lost for words at this moment.
Except to say I will never forget. I will communicate with them via Brenda. I am so blessed to have family in the Marurui Slum in Nairobi, Kenya.

Their journey is not going to be easy.  I pray they can be strong.  I pray for work and  new place to live.  I pray they continue to treasure the bonds they have with each other  and to grow in relationship with their heavenly father.  I know that He ordained this time and that His mercies are new every morning. He does not hide from us, nor will he hide from Grandma, MomMary(Virginia), Chico, Esther, Mary and baby, Penny, Beatrice or Baby Kevin.  

Saying good-bye, putting Beatrice and Esther down was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do.  But I leave them with He who is greater and in the hearts and caring service of Brenda and the women at New Song Nairobi.

John, Lauryn, Mom, Dad, Dana, Shawn, Bill, Lura, Linda, Bob we are coming HOME!



!

Comments

bill & lura said…
We are glad you are coming home, and we pray for your safe return. We will miss your beautiful, heart-stirring, stories. They are just beautiful blessings, so beautifully written. i'm thinking right now that i'm going to try to print the whole blog and send it in my Christmas cards this year. I look back over your life and see the build-up, from your being called to ba a nurse, your move to Nashville,to your work in hospice, to meeting your neighbor, Brenda, and finally to Kenya...amazing!!! I do think God has other great things branching out from this experience...somehow furthering the cause of the sewing mission, as well as just spreading the deeper love of humanity, as well.
Blessings,
lura

Popular posts from this blog

The Whole Hearted

We're Here