We're Here

Jessica and I are here, Nairobi, Kenya! Although here inside the Kean home I feel like I am just up the street on Mill Brook Circle in Stonemeade. That's the thing with good friends, no matter how long it has been since you have seen each other it always feels like just yesterday.

The plane rides went well, no delays, no problems getting through customs. Jessica and I passed the H1N1 screening. ;). She is feeling good. Her cough is aggravated today... the air in the plane is dry and drier here too. But no big deal. Making her drink a lot today.

Last night I thought it was just fatigue not allowing me to find things and think clearly, but today we have learned our luggage was stolen from. Nothing we can't live without, but a clear reminder of the fallen world in which we live. And we are sad that some things we were excited to give the girls here are gone.

I haven't seen much outside the comfort of this home yet, but I will say driving at night in Nairobi is highly exciting!!! I did well with no audible screaming. The worst part is people crossing the streets randomly. It is so dark here at night and well...the people are dark too, you hardly see them. Brenda, says you just hope they have darted the traffic so much they are good at calculating how well they can or can not make it, and if you hit one you don't stop. Yikes.

This morning we had some rest and settling in. This afternoon we are going to ...well I can't remember... some sight seeing and something fun for the little girls. Jessica and I need the downtime! The weather is beautiful. There is no air conditioning in their home, but it is not needed. It feels great.

Praying for my sweet Lauryn. Lauryn I pray you wake up fever free! I haven't given up on the possibility you can still go to the D.R. Know that the Lord will give you and Dad wisdom in that. I am not as worried as I was, thanks for your prayers for me!

I met Gertrude. The manager for Jacaranda Creations. She is praying for you too. I told her God was good and she replied, "all the time". She is excited we are here and looking forward to showing us all their sewing. Maybe she can teach me to sew??





Comments

bill & lura said…
Great so far for you. I identified with Brenda's statement that if you hit someone, just run. In the Sudan, the streets would be clear, but if the car stopped and I had to get out and fix it--in no time at all, I mean like seconds...there was a crown engulfing me. I once sent John, then 5 years old down the empty street to deliver some cheese to our other American friend. He had only gone a 1/2 block when he was engulfed by a crowd of kids--they thought he had candy. I yelled for Abdul and as soon as the kids saw him, they ran back home.
Sorry about your luggage being gone through...I remember how my precious jewelry was stolen from our video case while on Bill's back--I just prayed that it was someone who really needed food.
Take care. Love and prayers, Lura
bill & lura said…
Oops, typo at the end of 5th line. No "crown", just a "crowd" around me.
Also, the jewelry theft was when we were in Nairobi, just weeks before your wedding.. had some things for you in that bag!!
Unknown said…
Pray for you guys and Lauryn!
Leslie C said…
Hey, you can so sew! Laura still has fragments of her much loved blanket sewn by your very own hands. She wanted to bring it with her to Hawaii but I put it safely in the attic dresser instead.

Popular posts from this blog

The Whole Hearted