Nairobi Life

I am laughing at myself and the title I gave this blog. Who knew my ability to place my trust in the Lord would be so tested. This is day 2 in Nairobi. My thoughts have been consumed with my daughter, Lauryn back home. What we thought was "just" the flu has turned out to be a pretty bad pneumonia, almost complete left lower lobe. I have prayed most of the night and pray now that she wakes up this morning feeling much better, no fever, less pain. And when she gets to the doctor today her blood work is improved and they feel she does not have to be admitted to the hospital. A tough test for me to not be there caring for her and feeling some control. But thats just it.... my hope can only truly be in the Lord. A tough test for Lauryn to be more sick than she has ever been and her Mom in Africa. Crazy! But I admit she has a pretty good dad!

So, life here in Nairobi....well, as I write this I am overhearing my friend Brenda talk with and try to encourage their friend and house help, Josephine. She has 4 boys and is a single Mom. Right now she has run out of money to afford to keep her boys in school. Therefore, they are really sad about that. To make matters worse Nairobi is having a terrible drought. The depend on the rainy season for survival. So, Josephine's boys are home without water, too. Thats a little dose of perspective. Josephine knows all about placing her hope in the Lord moment by moment not only be the events of life.

Yesterday, we tried to relax and see some sights. Brenda showed us some very pretty places here and nice shopping areas. There is a huge gap here between the rich and the poor. Unfortunately, the government does very little to help their people. On the plane ride here I overheard some folks talking behind me saying in reference to the government, "they use poverty as a weapon here". Unfortunately that poverty has led to huge crime rate. Its survival...not drug use...the need for food.

I meet Grace on the plane, she is native to Nairobi. She just spent a year at the University of Maryland and loved it. It was neat to have that in common as John graduated from Maryland.
So conversation was easy. She ended up sharing with me that her mom died of cancer 3 years ago and the tears just came running. We had some sweet moments of reflection and shared email addresses.

Yesterday, Brenda and I ran into two friends of hers that live here from North Carolina and Ohio. They do a lot of work with health clinics north of here. Their day was rather traumatic and they were trying to relax and unwind from it. They had met an 8 year old boy at a clinic not long ago. It was obvious he was very sick with a heart condition and needed medical attention. After some hard work they managed to get him and his mom here to Nairobi. However, after a 10 hour journey upon arriving to the church first the little boy asked the pastor for prayer and shortly afterward passed away. This was not what they were expecting. They were excited to get the boy here and to the hospital. Again, God had other plans. This sweet boy had been sick most of his life. His heart so damaged it was enlarged to the point of causing his chest to protrude. What amazing, courageous women! They then had to take the body to the hospital, then the police station, then the morgue. Can you imagine???? UGH... Thank you America for funeral home services..even though you charge way too much...still Thank= you!! They let me pray with them right there at the mall. I just couldn't not pray with them. Have I ever stopped in an American mall to have prayer with anyone? Have you?

Well, today we are off to the Kibera Slums. This is an area of 1 million people. It was the focus in the movie, Constant Gardner. Anyway, I had been preparing myself to walk in the mud and drizzle while here during rainy season, but no....its drought....I am about to see worse I think.
I am told the death rate is rising. Some tribes have been selling their cows...their prize possessions for only a few dollars, but they are so desperate.

I am not sure what the words would be to encourage in these situations.... I will let you know...what I learn though....

with a grateful heart,
Rhonda

Comments

Anonymous said…
praying for lauryn... can't imagine being momma and not being there!

love reading about your trip! thanks for taking the time to post!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Whole Hearted

We're Here