What day is it?

I am starting to lose track of the days, but yes it is Sunday...Day 8 since we left. It has been difficult to write with the internet going in and out. Plus yesterday we just relaxed and I had my first hot shower.

Water is a growing problem with no rain during this rainy season. I haven't even explained all about that. But it is affecting the Kean's home as well. People are hoarding and selling it to folks in the slum, who can't afford it. It just seems to go along with everything else with a corrupt government and lack of caring for its people.

I do want to explain better the events of last Friday in the Marurui Slum. I was supposed to go out and meet Lillian with the Masaai, but the word of Mom Mary's salvation and sick babies quickly spread by the women who also attend New Song Nairobi church here, decided they wanted to go clean her home in the slum.

So with Brenda's help financially buying cleaning supplies, bug killer and basket to wash and organize clothes the stage was set. This was the church serving the community. A new concept to some of these woman and a beautiful building on the events of the previous two days.

I can not begin to explain clearly enough how dirty this home is/was. We have pictures and when I get back to the States or if the computer/internet stays working long enough I promise to post them.

The home is made of sticks and cardboard was filthy, dark, muddy smelling of brew and urine. The ladies went in with scarves on their heads, bringing some food as well and set out to work with Mom Mary's overwhelming acceptance. The 19 yo Mary, wants to move and she showed us a plot they have but have no way of getting anything to build anything. That is what really needs to happen though...

What they learned while cleaning was that the brew was still there. Mom lifted a dirty throw rug covering a hole dug in the ground. In that hole was a large container with the brew. They had socks or cloth in it that was supposed to do something for it...but ....really....IT's True. Disgusting to say the least. Who drinks that stuff? Oh, thats right they do. Poor baby Kevin, if that is all Mom drinks what is he getting?

Brew business in the slum is illegal. I found that so funny. Who enforces that? But anyway, if you brew you are looked down on and not respected. Altho, people buy it on a daily basis that live in the slum. I guess no matter where we live or what we do we are always trying to make ourselves feel better by looking down on others.

I really want to find the words to express how major it is that Mom came to Christ. Mom and her family are not at all respected in the slum... they are losers, the lepers so to speak, yet Jesus called her...saved her!

On Friday the word was getting spread and "neighbors" were coming to see and inquiring. The school open the doors to make rice and beans for the children. Truly amazing. Brenda can explain more about that. These are the children of the lady who makes brew and is dirtier and smells and probably acts out in drunkenness. And this is the lady who's Mom can't walk and they carry her out to the dirt path and sit her there as she yells and spits day in and day out. She is crazy in the head. She probably is given the brew too. People do put chewing tobacco in her mouth to keep her quiet. Others kick her. Brenda loves on her!

Just Know it is difficult for me to even put this all in writing because it is taking me to this emotional place, so bear with me.

I want to introduce you more to Sarah. She is a lady that is attending Garry and Brenda's church and has a sad story too. She is now sewing with the sewing ministry Brenda started. She is petite, quiet with a beautiful smile. She went with us to the hospital the other day to help interpret. She was cleaning on Friday. Brenda said she was standing on the bed with a broom knocking all the cardboard out of the ceiling/roof because it was rotten, they needed light,etc...
By the way, in all this cleaning I hear bugs were flying. Well, Sarah was on the bed when they learned the brew was in the home and that Mom had not touched it like she promised BUT she gave the business to her older daughter, Chico. She is 23 with a daughter, Esther that is 4 the same age as Mom's daughter Beatrice. We figure same dad most likely...you get the picture?? Yuk. Anyway, they all began talking to mom and Chico and the simple truth is that brew is their money..the only thing they know. During the discussion they learned that brew makes them around 300 shillings...the amount they had in that container under the dirty rug, in the hole. Somewhere around 5 american dollars. Quiet Sarah stopped what she was doing and said, "if you throw that away, I will give you they money that is worth." Know that is all the money Sarah probably had. Can I give that sacrificially? Can you?

Upon those words Chico ran outside crying and asking to accept Jesus. Who wouldn't with that kind of love shown to 3 generations that had been nothing more than the scum of the slum!

I am wondering do I love to this degree? Do I have the kind of faith that allows the fullness of the power of Christ to be displayed? I am so blessed to have been present for the miracles of this week. I am thankful for Beatrice running into my arms...a stranger such as I to her. I am inspired to love more, to walk in faith more and more aware of how desperate we all are. I am thankful for my home church, Crosspoint Community that seeks to serve the community. They way they choose to come together as the body of Christ is not in vain. And it is the same principle another continent from the same God.

Last night I was preparing to share at church this morning and I found myself led to this passage. I think is speaks volumes to the beginning of a mighty community of service here at New Song Nairobi. It is a great reminder to all of us believers.

Hebrews 6: 10- 12 " God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them. We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, in order to make your HOPE sure. We do not want you to become lazy, but to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit what has been promised."

Blessings my friends,
Rhonda

PS. John and Lauryn I am missing you both. What were we thinking? You should be here too!


Comments

bill & lura said…
Again, just overwhelmed with your experiences. I thought of matthew 25:34-40--in as much as you have done it to the least of these (feeding, clothing, etc) you have done it unto me!!
I just know that you will be a blessing even after you leave, as you share your pictures and speeches with individuals and organizations.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Blessings, Bill and Lura

Popular posts from this blog

The Whole Hearted

We're Here