Friday is Coming!




It’s been an incredible journey the past 10 months. Last August no one knew how they would afford this trip, how they would leave family behind, how they would get off work. I personally didn’t know how to lead a team like this! I didn’t feel equipped, not popular enough, not young enough, etc, etc….

But God has proved to be in this journey. My faith with each mission trip I have taken has grown to new levels and my heart is changed. I now hope the changes never stop. The best part of this is trusting HIM. I love the part in the book, Sun Setting Prayer when he talks about stepping into the water, applying wisdom and then swimming like you never have before. And never, never turning back, because ultimately, HE is the wave jumper, not me.

The great thing too for me is that my focus is so much more on what God has given me in life(my family) and what he has given me to do, (my service) and no longer on my outward appearance, my status economically or socially. It’s is freeing and liberating! I am not perfect at this but my awareness is on my Creator not my popularity-or lack of.

This was not what I was looking for, but God is always about more than we expect! I love Jesus more today than I did 10 months ago! I am more aware of the depth of His love than I was 10 months ago!

For the team I have witnessed teens working and saving their money to donate and pay for expenses, I have seen businesses be blessed, doors of miracles open and miraculous provision of funds! It's Awesome. I have worried about the faith of the individuals on the team and that I would somehow lead them wrong and ruin their faith for their lifetime. I know a bit dramatic but it was real. Back in Feb. I had to lay that down and remember again God is the wave jumper not me. He certainly has jumped many of our waves and I trust HE will continue.

It's hard to express how excited I am for this team. We have really bonded over these months. I thanked them for their team spirit!! We decided early on that we were one for all and all for one! Which meant that each other was more important. As far as our fundraisers the money was divided equally no matter the participation level of individuals. Sometimes events conflicted with work schedules. When someone raised more than their amounts I gave them the option of using that money for their other expenses or giving back to the team. Everyone gave back to the team! This spirit of team work made our fundraising work! This spirit of team work will go with us on this trip. We will forgive fast, seek forgiveness quickly, treat each other as more important than ourselves and when one is tired, or overwhelmed we will not let them fall. There are no other finger prints in the world like Elijah Davis, or Amy Thomas, or Alyssa Jiosa, we each bring our gifts and talents but we are greater as a sum of or parts than standing alone!

Early on I had several folks ask me what we would be building and when I would reply that we are not doing any construction they looked puzzled and asked me “ what are we doing then?” There has also been concern from caring folks about the socks I had asked for , what kind, what size, how many, types….

The point is not the construction, not the socks, but the love that comes with that. The touch alone! People are hungry for touch and when they receive that sacrifice of touch which they understand comes with great generosity of time and abilities they see Christ. That was my experience. All, it took was a touch and they wanted Jesus!

So, my answer has been wrong. We are going to build the church! Friday can’t come fast enough.

A huge thank you to all of you that have prayed, shared encouraging words, supported fundraisers and given generously. This trip is yours as well. It would not be happening otherwise. THANK YOU!

love,
Rhonda

Comments

Don said…
You write very well and your expressions are a real blessing to me. Friday my daughter and her husband are also leaving on a trip. They will be attending a synod annual meeting, sort of like we Nazarenes call a District Assembly.
They are going only to Atlanta while you and family will be going to Africa. I pray God's traveling mercies will be with all of you.
Rhonda said…
Thank you, Don. You have a full plate of prayers and they are greatly appreciated. Will lift up your daughter and family as well.
Be Blessed, Rhonda

Popular posts from this blog

The Whole Hearted

We're Here